Fuse technical documentation
Integrating Fuse with
Fuse can integrate with LMS platforms such as Saba 5.5 and Saba Cloud using our range of open APIs for content management. These can be utilised to create deep links to content on your Saba LMS, enabling the user to discover and launch content directly from Fuse. You can also choose to import your content from Saba into Fuse to take advantage of our deeper functionality.
This document will detail how you can build your own integration or use Fuse services to build in partnership.
How clients use Fuse alongside an LMS
We have several clients that use Fuse alongside an LMS. Their aim is for Fuse to become the central experience layer (or "one-stop-shop") of learning content and knowledge, and the LMS, used primarily for compliance training and learning completion records.
Whilst content can remain on the LMS; most have chosen to move all non-compliance content to Fuse. There are several benefits of doing so:
- Knowledge Intelligence (KI): Using Fuse's KI engine, creating content in Fuse allows us to make your content more discoverable. Paired with our natural language search capabilities, your users can search like they do on Google and find knowledge faster than on any LMS. Users can then surface all of this content in the "flow of work" using our Fuse Flow browser extension.
- Universal Content: When content is created in Fuse, you can use our KI-engine Translations, subtitling and language versioning.
- Prove comprehension, not consumption: You can use Fuse's out-of-the-box comprehension and observational assessment tools to set tasks and capture evidence that demonstrates a learner's comprehension of a subject, not just the consumption of the content.
- Full reporting tool: Generate real-time reports across learning completion, engagement and consumption.
- Analytics: Access to a range of dashboards containing actionable insights across 330+ data points.
Some clients have chosen to move their compliance training into Fuse to enable cost-savings by centralising onto one platform. Fuse has LMS functionality built natively into the product, such as learning and events management. Clients can create learning plans of content and assign them to dynamic audiences with deadlines, and you can also set up recurring learning to automate the certification of your employees. Completion of Fuse learning plans, and courses, are captured and available in reporting and analytics.
If you choose to move legacy LMS content, you will be able to import your historic user completion data into Fuse.
How to integrate with our APIs
When integrating with Saba, there are two options available:
- Create Saba courses as deep links in Fuse
- Create content natively in Fuse, and push completion data back to Saba
Create Saba courses as deep links
To create deep links, you can use the ‘External Link’ content type within Fuse. This creates a content item within Fuse that, when clicked, will push the user back to the course on Saba to complete the training.
To do this, you use the POST /contents/link endpoint:
To bring content in there are three options:
- You can leverage our APIs to bring courses as native objects into Fuse (as either SCORM files, or external deep-links that push the user back to Saba LMS)
- We can partner with you to build an integration with Saba using Dell Boomi (chargeable).
- CSV upload from Saba to SFTP, we then pick up and process - as we do with HRIS data
Create content natively
You can also choose to create content natively within Fuse. This will take the content file and import it into Fuse.
To do this, you use the POST /contents/media endpoint.
If you create content natively in Fuse but you require completion data to be synced back to Saba (or to your HRIS platform) you can use Fuse’s webhooks for learning plan / SCORM course completions and attendance updates for training events.
To set up, you will need to provide the webhook URL. You can do this during your implementation process, or via Fuse Support when in-life. Any updates can be made through Fuse Support.
Using Fuse's middleware
If you don’t have the capabilities in-house, we also provide integration services to build this for you. You are able to configure Saba to create a CSV of content within your LMS which can be uploaded to a secure FTP folder. We will then configure our middleware to import the CSV and update your Fuse instance with the deep links.
Due to the customisable nature of Fuse this is a custom process for each customer. The automated CSV process is typically scoped and developed as part of the initial Fuse implementation process.
The scope of the process will be defined in a Statement of Work beforehand. Once approved, it will typically take 8 to 10 working days to develop, test and deploy. Timescales are dependent on the customer providing the necessary test data and data validation.
Note: This is a chargeable service, please refer to your Account Manager for more information.
The process will be developed and tested on the customer’s Staging instance first, before being deployed to their Production instance once approved.
Once live, change requests and issues should be raised via the Fuse support ticketing system.
Best practice for using the SFTP integration
- The Fuse FTP server is part of our secured AWS environment. It supports FTPS, SFTP and PGP encryption of the CSV’s.
- The CSV should be UTF-8 format. The customer is responsible for data integrity of the CSV’s. Practical CSV field character limit for the process is 60 characters.
- Named customer contacts or mailboxes will receive daily process notifications listing successful creations/updates as well unsuccessful creations/updates and errors.